Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fiddler on the Roof...tradition?

So...Last Thursday one of my best girlfriends took me to see a show I have seen many, many times before - Fiddler on the Roof. It is amazing how with age and experience, an entertaining musical can be viewed entirely differently - as a history lesson, demonstrating the absurdity in the world even still today...

The show was winding down through the second act, and the "friendly" military issues the order to kick them out of their village:

--At any rate, it affects all of you, you have to leave.
--But...But this corner of the world has always been our home. Why should we leave?
--I don't know why. There's trouble in the world, troublemakers.
--Like us?
--You aren't the only ones. Your people must leave all the villages - Zolodin, Rabalevka. The district must be emptied. I have an order here! It says that you must sell your homes and be out of here in three days.
--And you? You, who have known us all your life, you'd carry out this order?
--I have nothing to do with it! Don't you understand? I wish you wouldn't say me.
--I understand. Suppose we refuse to go?
--You will be forced out.
--We will defend ourselves. We'll stay in our homes. Refuse to leave. Keep our land. Fight!
--Against our militia, our army? I wouldn't advise that.
--I have some advice for you. Get off my land. This is still my home, my land. Get off my land!
--You have three days.


I found myself, for the first time, really crying while I watched this performance. No longer were they tears caused by the complications between daughters breaking tradition and marrying the men they love, even when one is a Christian...no, they were tears sparked by the realization that this type of absurdness has been allowed to continue in my time! In Darfur, Israel, Bosnia, Rwanda...burnings and rape and slaughter for no reason other than "an order" - ridiculous....

I am so inspired to be reading the stories of survivors of the genocide in Rwanda and to hear about the progress that country has made. I have been trying to learn about the Rwanda of today - not the Rwanda of 1994. One thing I was surprised to read is that the government of President Paul Kagame is indeed making real progress towards building a society where individuals are identified as being "Rwandan," no longer being classified as Hutu or Tutsi. Although people know their heritage, due to the long history of conflict between these two groups, eliminating these labels is probably one of the best means to achieve realistic hope for the future....and consider this.....do you hear Rwanda in the news much anymore? It is too sad we do not hear about the great progress being made. So something MUST be working.....maybe breaking tradition really isn't so bad.....

And speaking of a peaceful future....I did not realize just how much progress Rwanda has made in the last 16 years. According to my trusty Lonely Planet guide :-) - Rwanda has a fairly stable economy with steady growth and low inflation; three beautiful national parks (one of which contains at least 20% of the entire primate species in Africa!) with continued improvement in sustainable tourism; and even a strict ban on plastic bags of all things! If you ask me, this is progress!

I have continued to speak with people who really are quite concerned about my safety and well-being when I go to Rwanda. However, I have read that Kigali, the capital of Rwanda, is "arguably one of the most pleasant cities in the whole of East Africa," with higher standards for both restaurants and accommodations than other major cities in East Africa. Hmmm....perhaps I can sway some minds..... :-)

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me! When I think you have outdone yourself with something, you turn around and do it all over again with something else. As you know, Tracie, Fiddler On The Roof is my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie/play. I thought I cried a lot watching it...but after/during reading your comments,well lets just say I am glad I had kleenex on my desk! :) I am sooo very proud of you and stand behind you 100%. I truly believe now you will be safe in Rwanda as if you were in your own back yard. I hope your friends / family find it in their hearts to dig a little bit and help you raise your monies so you are able to make this journey and do what you were born to do...Give yourself! I love you! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, I was telling Mom the other day just how PROUD of you I am! Without people like you in this world there would be no HOPE. The world would never grow and people would lose the hope that does exist. You are so courageous and great at following your dreams and stepping up and doing that part that others are either too afraid to take or lack the knowledge to even know about. I believe in you and everything you are trying to accomplish. You are doing more than your part and that is just what is needed for change to happen. I wish you the best of luck in your goals and your trip to Rwanda. I'm sure this will be just one of many successful missions you will be going on. Without you and people like you the world would have never evolved so I want you to know that what you are doing is great and brave and many are very proud of you! I am so grateful to have you as my sister so I can learn from you and help you in any shape or form! Keep your head high and don't ever stop dreaming! I love you!

    ReplyDelete