Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bits and pieces

A couple of postings ago, my dear friend asked me to explain a little bit about the challenges and implications of being in a country with three national languages - Kinyarwanda, French, and English - I am very happy to do so! It is safe to say that EVERYONE here speaks Kinyarwanda. If you travel to the countryside, most often no one speaks English, a few may speak French, but most business and daily interactions are all in Kinyarwanda. French was the national language until just a year or two ago. At the time, French was the language they spoke in schools and to conduct regular everyday business in the city. The switch from French to English was implemented by the president a year or two ago in order to conduct more international business and to attract more international investment as it is more widely spoken world-wide. When he did so, schools also switched to teaching in English, which is where there have been a number of children being left behind, and when it seems that reading and dictation became more important in schools than comprehension. At any rate, it is easy to spot billboards and signs that are newer because they are posted in English. Only old signs are still up in French. French tends to be more commonly spoken between people on the street but true business has been or is moving to English. But then there are many times you can see that messages are catered specifically to the locals because such things are posted in Kinyarwanda only. Of course, things like money are printed in all three languages, but there are not many things like that. Radio shows are often in Kinyarwanda with a word here or there in French...I hope that helps explain it a bit :-)

The last couple of weeks I have been helping the teacher with writing homework assignments. Math homework for instance came from me writing the numbers 9 and 10 and drawing nine triangles and ten stars in each of the 39 kids' homework journals so they could then go home and practice copying the number. I was also helping with classroom assignments during which I hadn't realized that people still use carbon paper...yep, they resort to it here when the copier is down. I had to trace stacks of 8 carbon copies, about five times each of a drawing of a Cat and letter C and then a drawing of a Dog and letter D. That was quite the chore!

When they are teaching letters, I have found it interesting how they have the kids learn the capital letter, lowercase letter and the cursive letter, all at the same time. I honestly think it confuses them a bit. The teacher doesn't actually show the kids how to write each letter, the are just expected to figure it out. I have so much enjoyment when I get to walk around and help the kids with their writing, holding their little hands and guiding their penmanship for a few times. Working on the letter b and d, there were a handful constantly getting it backwards. I tell you, it amuses me so much when I guide their hands, "ciiiircle, biiiig top, liiiittle tail," and then they repeat after me and actually write it correctly!!

At recess, the girls have been so adorable on the play ground lately playing with these yarn dolls. They take off their sweaters, bend forward, and put the doll on their back, wrapping their sweater around their chest - so freaken adorable just playing house like little girls will do!....I also had forgotten how entertaining a game of tag can truly be. It begins with just a few kids, but soon there are about 15 all shouting, "Teacher! Doh!" I stretch out to tag them, but goodness, they are always just out of my reach! :-) Apparently tag is so much more exciting when the teacher is "It." :-)

One day last week the teacher asked me to teach about parties, so of course I asked for some clarification. "You know," she said, "holidays that you have parties for, like New Years, Christmas, Easter, Weddings and birthdays." HA! As if I have any idea how people in Rwanda celebrate such holidays! I did the best I could, but it was a challenge trying to talk to five-year-olds who don't understand my English and can hardly comprehend what a month actually is, let alone that New Year's is the first day of a year! And don't forget no Santa Clause, nor Easter Bunny, nor "da-DA-da-da" for wedding...but we did have the Happy Birthday song :-) It was amusing, to say the least.

One thing you notice walking around here is that many children will greet you, "Good morning" but they do it when it is 5 in the evening, too! I decided to take it upon myself to teach morning, afternoon and evening by drawing scenes and acting out when they wake up, arrive at school, depart from school and go to bed, among other things. It seemed like they really had fun doing it! I don't know if they really will take it with them for now, but at least the concept is introduced! ;-)

I am really going to miss the hugs I get from some of the teachers here, but most of all, the older woman who I took of photo of pounding cassava leaves. She is such a lovable and powerful woman! Every week when I see her now, she gives me the strongest, longest hugs that I can remember. Her sincerity is incredibly moving...

I have some new insight now on what it must be like to be an incredibly proud "mother" who ends up just embarrassing her children! Another volunteer works at a school Gahanga, which I went and visited a week ago. While there, I met a teacher, Jerome, who is really into music and has even recorded two songs. He is only 19, so I thought it would be a great opportunity for him to meet Kharim, since Kharim is 16 and is a music and dancing junkie! The other volunteer and I arranged this visit last Thursday at the guesthouse, complete with juice, fruit and fresh baked bread! Jerome was so great and made a CD of music for Kharim - it was so sweet. But when we all sat, complete silence! Oh, it felt so awkward, so I started just asking questions about Jerome's music and telling/asking Kharim how cool that was....then I was so horrible that I started bragging about how Kharim had read TWO short books that day!! TWO BOOKS!!! If looks could kill, I would have be dead by Kharim LOL At that moment, I realized that a 16 year old boy could easily be embarrassed about reading two short books in front of this 19 year old teacher who is a cool music guy.....UGH! Actually, it was pretty hilarious and from that point on, I cooled my jets and let them take over the afternoon conversing. My goodness, my children are going to hate me one day! LOL

After my exciting week, I had quite an incredible weekend visiting an orphanage called L'Esperance, but that will have to be its own entry. :-) I hope you all are enjoying the welcoming of autumn! I know I am so looking forward to the cooler temps when I return. Hugs to all!

1 comment:

  1. Sis, I am missing you more and more and can not wait to hear more of your stories in person! This entry just made me smile the whole time I was reading it! Love and miss you! give the kids an extra hug from me :)

    ReplyDelete