Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day by day, life is getting easier...

It has been far too long since I have written - but I find that I am in such a routine these days that I being to forget that the small things I experience throughout the day may in fact be interesting to others :-)

Last Monday, before I wrote my previous blog entry, was a national holiday due to the inauguration of President Paul Kagame. It was an interesting ceremony to watch on TV. Most of it was in Kinyarwanda, but there were some parts translated into English. The event took place in their national stadium and I had heard that people were lining up at 6am as it was first come, first entry - no tickets. The stadium was PACKED and the crowd was all dressed in Rwanda colors (blue green and yellow) spelling Kagame's name in the crowd - it was crazy! There were MANY other heads of state here which was so interesting because the night before and for two nights following, we heard so many helicopters flying overhead near the airport, probably added security for these folks. At any rate, after the introduction of each person, they had a blessing from a Muslim imam and a Catholic priest and then had the infamous Rick Warren speak on behalf of the US....that was interesting, to say the least.....there was much talk from all parties speaking about how Rwanda people have taken to the polls and have spoken their minds freely about what they want for their future. I won't get into the details too much of his speech, nor my impressions of them as you can surely find the news online, but it was quite interesting to see how the country thinks they are viewed from the international perspective and how they have come together under some sort of national unity against outside influences for the better of their country....The rest of the ceremony included a very beautiful group doing an intore dance, with men dressed as warriors with a spear and shield (symbols of Rwanda's security) and women dressed in their traditional toga-like dress, with the most graceful, swaying movements I have witnessed in dance - this part was worth it! There was a signing of sorts, a presentation of their flag and national symbols and national emblem and then an inspection of their troops - and much laying of their anthem. All in all, it was a unique experience to have witnessed....

The last week and a half I have been feeling exhausted with the children in the kindergarten! You would think with time they lose energy, but these children just continue to find it somewhere! LOL I have continued to work on teaching the days of the week and months of the year. It is hilarious, actually, because I was asked to teach them as "day 1 is...day 2 is..." and the same with the months. So, I hold up fingers and ask now, "What is day 1?" and they should back Monday! But after Monday, every day seems to be Friday! And I taught them a little rhyme, "No school Saturday, no school Sunday!" So those are a cinch...but, the as I ask for day 4, they are shouting, "April!!" with such vigor and enthusiasm, I hate to tell them they are wrong... LOL They are just so freaken adorable! I love these kids!

Another thing I was just asked to do was to teach Professions....so...we opted for Teacher, Carpenter, Bus Driver, Doctor, Policeman, and Pilot (much at the teacher's direction...) Last night I went home and used my VERY little artistic skills to draw these for class. I presented them today to the class and the kids really loved them! The teacher did, too, and asked me to do them again on white paper (instead of on the colored paper like I did) so that they can make photocopies and distribute to the students :-) This made me so happy to hear! Although, my Carpenter is going to do a better job at making a bureau that isn't lopsided and my doctor will hopefully look a bit more professional this time around :-)

So yes...I was in school today helping the teacher write the homework assignment for the kids (since there was no power to use the photocopy machine...) and I started thinking that I really do enjoy the teaching part of my day more than I had thought I would. I was just so terrified of not having enough direction or thinking my ideas wouldn't be good enough, but I think that is more due to the culture of teaching here, and how there isn't really a set curriculum that the teacher follows, at least not for that young age....but maybe, perhaps, just maybe, teaching kids will be something I may find myself doing more of at some point in my future....I really enjoy teaching these small concepts and helping the students...and it is so incredibly fulfilling when I see them really get something right! So yeah....just another idea to throw in the mix in my mind's potpourri of thoughts.......

I have been making more progress with Kharim, too....bahoro bahoro...he was doing so well last week at sounding out words, so just yesterday I started working on speaking words and having him write them down. I was also provided a great little activity book by another volunteer who just left and it went along perfectly with the way I was trying to teach vowel sounds. So yes, I feel I have a new resource and even more motivation, day by day, to keep working with him. I told him yesterday that he will be able to read a short book before I leave. He laughed and shook his head........I told him how proud I was already of his progress and insisted it WILL happen - so I have my work cut out for me!

Back at the house, yesterday was the departure of John - the older volunteer who was here for three months and whose words of advice really helped me cope with adjusting to life here for the long haul (as compared to the others...) And then today, my dear friend Charlotte, who has become such a close friend during her month here, left to get back to Germany....I am now in the house with just three new people who just arrived yesterday. It makes for an exciting six more weeks as the dynamics in the house are sure to be very different from my first six weeks. There is an 18 year old girl (staying for one month) who will likely join me at Gisimba starting Friday. The other two are 22 (staying for 6 weeks) and 25 (staying for 1 month) and are both in the literacy program.

Well - that seems to be all the pertinent news from here...I hope everyone is enjoying the coming of autumn...my favorite season!!

And here I will give a warm shout-out to Alan and Emily, getting married on Saturday, September 18 - I miss you two and will be sending you warm wishes across the oceans on your special day.... :-)

Hugs to all,
Tracie

4 comments:

  1. Ok, this is going to seem like a super long blog, but computer froze and erased everything i had previously written :( The gest of what I wrote was that I was on line seeing if I could find ways to help you teach the Calander to the kids. Music was the number one thing I kept running across. therefore, I will write not more as i copied and pasted some information that may help you, if you already are not doing some of them. Keep us posted... love you always and very proud... MOM xoxoxo

    Preschoolers aren't tied down to schedules, clocks and calendars - they live one blissful moment at a time. As their teacher, you can help them understand larger blocks of time called "days, weeks and months." The following songs and activities that teach calendar skills will help make your job a little bit easier.

    Step #1 - Focusing on “Days”
    One of the first things children must understand is that each month on the calendar has lots of days on it. To help children understand the concept of a day, use a graphic that shows children playing or going to school in the day time (use a sun) and sleeping at night (use a moon).

    Ask children which shines brightest in the day time - the sun or the moon? Which one shines brightest at night? Remind children that most days, they can see the sun, but on rainy days, it is shining behind the clouds. It may be covered up, but it is still there. Explain that this is true for the moon, too.

    Song - (Tune: Farmer in the Dell)
    The sun shines in the day,
    The sun shines in the day,
    The sun shines while we work and play,
    The sun shines in the day!

    The moon shines in the night,
    The moon shines in the night,
    When we close our eyes to sleep,
    The moon shines in the night!

    Step #2 - Focusing on “Weeks”

    To visualize what makes up a week, write the names of each day on a separate square made of cardstock. These should be large enough to see from a distance, at least 8 inches square. If each day is written on a different color, it helps children learn quicker using color association.

    Call on seven children to each hold one card. Help them line up across the front of the room in the proper weekday order. Next, sing the song about days of the week (seen below) as you walk along and point to each card.

    After the song, have children take turns placing their cards on the chalkboard ledge when you call out the name of their day, “Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,” etc. Another way to display the cards is to punch holes in the top of each one and hang them on pegs or hooks. As you call for each card in order, you are reinforcing the proper sequence of weekdays in the minds of your students.

    Song - (Tune: London Bridge)
    Weeks are made of seven days,
    Seven days, seven days
    Weeks are made of seven days
    Each one has a name!

    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,
    Wednesday, Thursday,
    Friday and then Saturday
    Each one has a name!

    END of 1st section

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAST of 1st section:

    Step #3 - Focusing on “Months”

    First, review the sun and moon graphic and briefly discuss what a day is, then sing the song about day and night. Next, review the fact that each week has seven days and those seven days all have a special name. Sing the weekday song again and if you wish, do the activities of lining up the weekdays as you sing. Ahead of time, you will have prepared three more sets of weekday cards to use as you teach the concept of a month. Line up four sets of Sundays in a vertical row, then four sets of Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. on the board. Don’t worry about putting numbers on each day yet… just use the word cards with the days “Sunday” through “Saturday.”

    If you do this activity on the floor, instead, children can help line up the days and weeks. Once the big block of days is in order, tell them “we have made a calendar!” Explain that a calendar is something we use to count days and weeks. It also helps us remember what day we are to do certain things, like go to school, go to church, go to the dentist, etc.

    Point to a real calendar and compare it to the one you have assembled on the wall or floor. Ask the class if they know what month it is. Tell students that each month has a name at the top, and this month’s name is ______. The song below will help children remember the names of the months.

    Song - (Tune: Ten Little Indians)

    January, February, March and April,
    May and June, July and August,
    September, October, November, December,
    Twelve months in each year!

    These songs and activities will help you teach calendar skills to preschoolers. Even if they can’t grasp everything you cover in class, they can learn the names of the days of the week and months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sis, I can't believe you only have 6 weeks left! Crazy! Glad things are continuing to progress with Kharim and Kindergarten. Mom's ideas for time are great! I often also try to personalize days of the week based on something that the child does each day...but I have the benefit of seeing kids one at a time to be able to personalize it. You're doing a great job! So creative! I wish I had your enthusiasm as I could really increase my repertoire of activities for my kiddos if I spend time at home being creative. You're awesome! Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracie, it's Tony, Greg's Scottish friend. He gave me the link to your blog when I asked how you were getting on. It sounds amazing, and I'm glad to hear your settled in well. Good luck with the time you have left! It's amazing what your doing. I wonder if the children in Rwanda have the same magic ability to keep there school uniforms clean despite the dirt and dust everywhere.

    ReplyDelete